Your website’s architecture has an effect on the user experience, and ultimately will impact the visibility of your site in the search engines. SEO friendly website architecture will enable and encourage the search engine robots to crawl your site effectively, and give you a higher visibility in search engines. Effective on page optimisation goes hand in hand with compatible site architecture.
What is Site Architecture?
A Website’s architecture entails the navigation structure, and the site design, this is why the search engine results can be improved having an SEO friendly website architecture. Making use of a navigation and link structure that encourages regular indexing, and using file names logical and relevant. After all Panda updates are related to user experience and interaction of your page with your visitors.
Interaction between Google and your site’s Architecture:
- Domain: Choose a friendly domain, not stuffed with keywords. Google will not give you a long-term authority for old domains and they tend to clear any trust and link popularity from the old owner. Also important is to double check for redirection in the domain. 301 redirections to the www and deleted URLS. 302 for temporarily moved pages.
- Site Depth: It is widely believed that search engines only index to a depth of 2 levels. You want search engines and visitors of your website to move freely and reduce the number of clicks to get to the desired page.
For deep pages you can always upload a sitemap, such as Bing Webmaster Tools and Google Webmaster Tools. Internal linking is important to improve the depth of your site, with a benefit for user interaction, as they can move around your website freely.
- File Names: It is relevant for search engines that the file names include the keywords your page is trying to rank for. It is pertinent to remember that Googlebot can only index individual words if they are separated by hyphens. So if you want a seach engine to crawl and index the file names use hyphens; instead of www.site.com/seooptimisation, you can use www.site.com/seo-optimisation.
- Make use of Meta Tags and Heading Tags to have your content described in level of importance for the robots.
A Search Engine Compatible website Architecture will let youl achieve:
- better experience for your users,
- Improve rankings as your site will increase crawlability and indexing.
- More control to rank for the keywords you want to rank for, and an increase in your targeted traffic.